Just about every week or so, I get emails about issues with Oblivion or Shivering Isles. We have posted threads on our forums – I thought I’d doing some cutting and pasting for your convenience.
PC Specific Issues
Direct2Drive and Shivering Isles
If you install a Retail copy of Shivering Isles over Direct2Drive Oblivion, the game will require a retail Oblivion disk to run. To remedy this situation you will need to get the “Oblivion Shivering Isles CD Compatibility Fix” from Direct2Drive. It is available at http://www.direct2drive.com/patches/. Direct2Drive also sells the North American release of Shivering Isles, which is compatible with both the Retail and Direct2Drive versions of the game.
Content will not enable, or multiple assets are missing
We are aware that some people are having compatibility issues with third party, or user created mods and Shivering Isles. Please note that we cannot officially support any user-made mods for Oblivion, however we do want people to be able to enjoy their games. Here are some troubleshooting steps that seem to be fairly effective in eliminating some of the most common issues.
If you have been playing with mods installed please try these steps to eliminate any problems caused by the mods.
- Backup all save files located in /My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/Saves/ to a separate folder.
- Backup, or have some method ready for reinstallation of any third party or user created mods that you have.
- Uninstall Oblivion
- Delete any folders left behind such as C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion, and My Documents\My Games\Oblivion
- Reboot your computer
- Reinstall Oblivion (there is no need to install patch 1.1 or 1.2 at this point)
- Install Shivering Isles
- Install the Shivering Isles 1.2.0416 Patch from here
- Copy your old saves into /My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/Saves/
- Load Oblivion
- Load an old save file and ensure that the save file load properly.
- Wait 24 to 48 hours in-game then fast travel to a location near the Niben Bay, just east of Bravil. You should get a quest notification, or at least be able to see the island when looking due east from the Bravil Stables.
If you have had success with the steps above, it may be a good idea to install any third party or user created mods that you have, one at a time, or in small groups, checking to make sure that you have not lost functionality between each install.
Missing Dialogue or “I Have No Greeting”
The portal between the Cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles is used to set a number of variables within the game. Using third party mods, or console commands, that bypass this portal or move you between the two realms instantly will likely lead to missing dialogue, along with a host of other unforeseen issues.
It should be noted that Oblivion and the Shivering Isles expansion are not officially supported on Windows Vista. Most attempts to run Oblivion and Shivering Isles on Vista are problem free. However, some users have reported that they have had success solving an issue in which the Shivering Isles content is not enabling correctly in game by attempting the following:
- Fresh Installation of Oblivion and Shivering Isles
- Running Oblivion in Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode
- Running Oblivion as Administrator
- Disabling Visual Themes and Desktop Composition
For more information, the original thread can be found here.
Xbox 360 Issues
Content doesn’t enable, or assets are missing
Some users are having issues with the Shivering Isles content enabling properly. Please note that Shivering Isles requires the latest Oblivion Title Update from Xbox Live, as mentioned above. If you are experiencing an issue with a hang on the “Loading Extra Content” message for 360 or the content isn’t enabling, it is likely because you do not have the 1.2.1 update. You can verify that you have the latest Title Update with the following steps:
- At the Main Menu, press Start, and select Options
- Select Video
- Observe the bottom left corner of the Video Options screen, if it says Version 1.2.1, you have the latest Oblivion Title Update, otherwise you do not.
If you do not have the latest Title Update, you must sign on to Xbox Live and download it before playing Shivering Isles. If you have the latest Title Update and you are still having issues, you might be having problems with Xbox Live… see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911198/en-us
If you have the latest Title Update and it still isn’t working, there are a few things you can try to fix the problem yourself:
You can verify whether or not the content has enabled by taking any character and Fast Travelling to the Bay Roan Stables just outside of Bravil, and swimming almost straight eastward across the Niben Bay… if the content has enabled properly, you should see an island with a large doorway somewhere near the center of the Bay (just above the ‘L’ in Bravil, on the world map).
You may have a dirty disc… you can try to clean it with the steps mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816785/en-usdepending on the scope of your problem.
It may help to redownload the latest Oblivion Title Update from Xbox Live — if you are not receiving a prompt to download a Title Update when you start Oblivion and are logged on to Live, try the following:
- At the Main Menu, press Start, and select Options
- Select Video
- Observe the bottom left corner of the Video Options pane, if it says Version 1.1, 1.2 or nothing at all, you do not have the latest update and may need to troubleshoot your Xbox Live connection
- If it says Version 1.2.1, or you know your Live connection is working from the step above, you may want to clear existing game updates (please note the steps below will remove ALL game updates currently on your system, and that if you have downloaded any auto-updates for any other games, they will need to be downloaded again when you play them)
- Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System blade, and select Memory
- Highlight the Hard Drive symbol, and press the Y Button
- Press the following buttons in order… X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X
- A notification dialogue will ask for confirmation that you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 Storage Devices, select Yes
- After the maintenance is completed, restart Oblivion while connected to Xbox Live and you should be prompted to download an automatic game update… accept this update
- Verify at this point that the game should be working properly, if the update download succeded
It may also help to redownload the Shivering Isles content from Xbox Live. You can do this by doing the following:
- Go to your Xbox Dashboard, select the System blade, and select Memory
- Select the Hard Drive, or wherever Shivering Isles is stored
- Select Games
- Select Oblivion
- Select “Shivering Isles, Downloaded Content”
- Select “Delete”
- And finally redownload Shivering Isles as you did initially
You can also attempt to clear the Xbox’s game cache by holding the ‘A’ button as the game boots. Press and hold ‘A’ as soon as you turn the console on.
Character has trouble sitting
If your character is having trouble sitting to speak with specific NPCs which require it, and you have played Knights of the Nine, try sitting and waiting for a few moments (10-15 seconds) and speaking with the NPC after the camera view shifts. It will appear as if your character is still standing but this may resolve the issue. The same delay will likely occur when you try to ‘get up’ again.